2005 Conference USA Men's Soccer Championship: Day One

Nov. 9, 2005

Memphis, South Carolina, Marshall a Tulsa have all won their quarterfinal matches at the Conference USA Men's Soccer Championship In Dallas. The No. 6-seed Tigers defeated No. 3 UAB, 2-1 to open the tournament. The game-winner was scored on an UAB own goal off the head of junior midfielder Robert Sheringham in the 82nd minute. In the second game, South Carolina and Kentucky battled to a scoreless tie, with the Gamecocks advancing on penalty kicks, 3-0. In the first evening game, Marshall eliminated Florida International with a 2-0 shutout. Osric Flores and Nicholas Ademolu scored the Thundering Herd's goals. In the nightcap, a scoreless first half between Tulsa and host SMU has led to a wild second half. Both teams exchanged goals within two minutes late in the second half to tie it up at 2-2 and are now in the second overtime.

TULSA 2, SMU 2 (2OT) (Tulsa advances on penalty kicks, 5-4)

Complete SMU-Tusa Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

In front of a crowd of 1,073 fans, Tulsa and SMU played to a 2-2 double overtime tie and the No. 8 seed Golden Hurricane upset the host Mustangs on penalty kicks (5-4). It was the second time on the day that a match ended in a tie. South Carolina advanced to the semifinals after beating out Kentucky on the penalty kicks, 3-0.

"This is always a big game for us," Tulsa head coach Tom McIntosh. "We have a lot of respect for SMU and obviously they are a very, very good team. I thought both teams played well. In the last 20 minutes of regulation and the overtimes, I felt like we controlled the game and took it to them. We were unfortunate not to win it in overtime. Obviously, I think it is a just result."

Tulsa held a 5-2 advantage for shots during the two overtime periods and the Golden Hurricane had the only two shots on goal during the extra stanzas.

After a scoreless 52-plus minutes of play, both SMU and Tulsa exchanged goals in less than 10 seconds.

Tulsa got on the scoreboard first when senior midfielder Daniel Wasson scored on a header at 52:47 off an assist from Eric Burkholder.

However, SMU answered just eight seconds later to tie up the score at 1-all when freshman Paulo da Silva hit the net from 20 yards, going just to the right of TU goalkeeper Dominic Cervi.

Conference USA Player of the Year Duke Hashimoto assisted on both SMU goals as the Mustangs took a 2-1 lead at the 73:26 mark when Dario Saintus nailed a goal from the left side of the box. Senior Jay Needham also assisted on the goal.

Tulsa's Kyle Brown knotted it up again when he scored on a penalty kick after SMU goalkeeper Matt Wideman was called for a foul inside the box.

"I thought we played well enough to win," said SMU head coach Schellas Hyndman, "but ball just didn't bounce our way. We just have to get past this, wait on an NCAA bid, and go from there."

Tulsa's record moves to 6-6-7 as the Golden Hurricane will face Marshall in Friday's second semifinal match at 7:30 p.m. CT.


Complete Marshall-FIU Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

No. 5 Marshall extended their undefeated streak to four matches with a 2-0 victory against No. 4 Florida International in the first round of the 2005 C-USA Men's Soccer Tournament.

Freshman Osric Flores scored in the 39th minute off an assist from Michael McDonald to put Marshall on the board first. The Herd almost took a 2-0 lead into the half when senior Kirk Gibson had an open shot from the corner. FIU keeper Shawn Crowe made his third save of the half to protect the net.

Marshall then got an insurance goal from junior midfielder Nicholas Ademolu, who netted his first goal of the season from 23 yards out on a direct shot. Ademolu's score in the 72nd minute went right over Crowe's head. Freshman Dana Heimbecker was credited with the MU assist.

"The guys played great tonight," Marshall head coach and C-USA Coach of the Year Bob Gray said. "We really wanted this one because FIU thumped us pretty good in the regular season (7-0 on Oct. 2). We have been playing good soccer since midseason and came out tonight and showed what we are capable of doing.

"It has been an interesting year," Gray continued. "We were 2-7-1 at one point and now we are 8-8-2. It's been an amazing run and hopefully we can keep it up."

FIU head coach Karl Kremser said, "It's disappointing. Marshall just played harder, worked harder and beat us to every ball. They just wanted it more than we did...we just didn't play well."

Marshall will play the winner of tonight's SMU-Tulsa match on Friday. The semifinal match will begin at approximately 7:30 p.m.

SOUTH CAROLINA 0, KENTUCKY 0 (2OT) (USC advances on penalty kicks, 3-0)

Complete South Carolina-Kentucky Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

South Carolina advances to Friday's semifinal match against Memphis by defeating Kentucky on penalty kicks, 3-0, in the second match of the 2005 Conference USA Men's Soccer Championship.

No. 2 seed South Carolina and No. 7 Kentucky showed the crowd at Westcott Field why they have been the conference's top defensive squads this season, playing to a double overtime scoreless tie.

USC freshman goalkeeper Mike Gustavson, the C-USA Freshman of the Year, kept the Wildcats scoreless during penalty kicks by saving two of the three shots.

Junior Ryan Leeton, junior Mike Sambursky and senior Josh Alcala also netted their PK attempts for the Gamecocks.

UK's Nathan Li was the first up against Sambursky, but his shot sailed high. The freshman then made the key saves on shots from freshmen Masumi Turnbull and Bingy Lara.

The match still registers as a 0-0 tie. South Carolina will enter Friday's semifinal with a 10-6-2 overall record. Kentucky tallied its school-record sixth tie of the season with a 6-7-6 mark.


Complete Memphis-UAB Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

In a match-up between Conference USA's top two offensive teams this season, Mmephis and UAB played to a scoreless tie for nearly 30 minutes. Freshman Tripp Harkins put the Tigers on the board first. After a scrum in front of the net, Harkins took a rebound off a UAB player and kicked the ball straight into the top of the net. Memphis held a 6-1 advantage for shots on goal in the first half.

"I thought our performance, particularly in the first half and even periods in the second half was very good," Memphis head coach Richie Grant said. "I thought UAB was very strong when they got their goal. They had a spell in the game where they could have gotten a second (score). That's the way our matches have gone this season. I thought we applied good pressure to force the second goal."

UAB senior Jason McLaughlin tied things up in the 67th minute when he scored off a cross from junior Jerson Monteiro in the corner. McLaughlin also scored the game-winner for the Blazers when the two teams met during the regular season. The match remained tied until the 81st minute when Memphis took the lead on the own goal by UAB. A Memphis service was played into the box and UAB's Sheringham attempted to clear the ball with a header, but misplayed the volley past goalkeeper A.J. Robles and into the net.

"It's disappointing," UAB Coach Mike Getman said. "I felt like we controlled the whole match and there was no question as to who should have won the game, unfortunately own goals happen."

"I really feel for Jason McLaughin today," Grant added. "I always do for senior players. He had a wonderful career and he is a wonderful ambassador for UAB soccer."

This was the second time this season UAB lost on an own goal, when South Carolina defeated UAB, 2-1, during the regular season on Oct. 9.

Today's game was a rematch of the 2004 C-USA Men's Soccer Championship, which Memphis won, 3-2. The Tigers are 8-1-2 this season when scoring first, with their only loss to tournament host SMU.



More Headlines

Shop Now at the Official Online Store