Aug. 17, 2012
Women's soccer was the first Conference USA sport to open its season, with all 12 teams in action Friday night. Colorado College, Marshall, Tulsa, No. 12 UCF and UTEP all posted wins in their respective season openers.
Complete Women's Soccer Standings
Friday, August 17
Marshall 3, Ball State 1
Colorado Cup, Greeley, Colo.
Colorado College 1, Denver 0
(12) UCF 3, USF 1
Tulsa 3, Weber State 0
UTEP 2, Utah Valley 1
Southern Miss 1, Mercer 1 (2OT)
(RV) Baylor 1, Rice 0
Campbell 2, East Carolina 1 (OT)
Missouri 5, (14) Memphis 1
Stephen F. Austin 2, Houston 0
San Diego State 1, SMU 0
Oregon State 1, UAB 0
C-USA WOMEN'S SOCCER SHOOTING STARS
- Marshall freshman striker Erin Simmons tallied a goal and an assist in her first collegiate soccer match and helped the Herd to a 3-1 victory over Ball State in the regular season opener. Sophomore Alyssa Cathey and junior Lizzy Lemons also added to the Marshall offense.
- No. 12 UCF cruised to its seventh-straight victory over intrastate rival USF with a 3-1 win on the road in the season opener for both teams. Sophomore F Jennifer Martin put the Knights on the board first in the 26th minute. In the second half, Kayla Darden found freshman Taylor Townsend, who left-footed a laser from outside the box into the top left-hand corner of the net to increase UCF's edge to 2-0 with 30 minutes left. USF got back into the game with a free kick opportunity, but UCF junior Ashley Nicol would give the Knights some breathing room with her first career goal with less than eight minutes to go to seal the victory.
- UTEP senior MF Tess Hall scored the game-winning goal with 42 seconds left on the clock to hand the Miners a 2-1 victory over host Utah Valley. Junior D/MF Azia Nicholson, a member of the All-Conference USA preseason team, netted the Miners' first goal. The Miners are now 14-3 all time in season openers, including 11-1 under head coach Kevin Cross.
- Tulsa senior F Rebecca Handley scored twice after junior F Claire Nicholson nailed the game-winning goal in the sixth minute as the Golden Hurricane shutout Weber State. Senior GK Katie Bykowski was credited with the shutout in TU's home opener, registering three saves.
- Colorado College also posted a shutout in its season opener, defeating Denver, 1-0, in the first game of the 2012 Colorado Classic. Junior F Lynn Froetscher scored the lone goal in the 62nd minute off an assist from reigning C-USA Midfielder of the Year Jessie Ayers. The Tigers will host Colorado on Sunday for state bragging rights.
- Southern Miss junior F Chelsea Cruthirds received a free kick service from classmate Danielle Beatty at the back post and headed it in with less than four minute remaining to give the Golden Eagles a season opening draw against host Mercer. It was the first time in the 16-year history of the program that the team opened the season with a draw.
Sunday, August 19
(12) UCF at Florida Gulf Coast - Noon
UTEP at Utah State - 1:00p
UAB at Oregon - 3:00p
Colorado Cup, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Colorado at Colorado College - 5:00p
Marshall at James Madison - 6:00p
Houston Baptist at Houston - 7:00p
Conference USA Matches in Bold.
All Times Central
More information on Friday's matches and your favorite teams can be found on the school websites:
Colorado College | East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice
SMU | Southern Miss | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP