Nov. 14, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The UAB women’s basketball team looks to remain unbeaten on the season as the squad heads to Nashville, Tenn., to face Vanderbilt on Thursday at 7 p.m. CT.
UAB comes into the contest at 2-0 on the season following a 72-53 win at Alabama A&M on Monday, while the Commodores are also 2-0 after a 62-45 victory against Lipscomb.
UAB vs. Vanderbilt
Thursday, Nov. 15 @ 7 p.m. CT
Nashville, Tenn. – Memorial Gymnasium
Gametracker live stats and Blazer Vision streaming audio available at uabsports.com. Reid Adair will handle play-by-play duties, while Laura Waldrop will serve as the color analyst.
• Vanderbilt leads the all-time series against the Blazers, 4-0. The Commodores won the last meeting between the two teams, 92-51, on Nov. 9, 2007.
• UAB will play a Southeastern Conference foe for the 108th time on Thursday. The Blazers hold a 29-78 (.271) record against teams from the SEC with the program’s last win coming in 2005 – a 70-62 victory against Alabama.
Veterans Lead Early On
• Senior guard Amber Jones and junior forward Karisma Chapman combined for 44 of their team’s 72 points in the win against Alabama A&M on Nov. 12. Jones finished just two points shy of her career high of 25 with 23 points on the night, while Chapman scored 21. The two also paced the Blazers on the boards with five rebounds each.
Jones Finds the Basket
Chapman Does It All
• Jones has been a scoring threat for the Blazers since her arrival in Birmingham as a freshman in 2009. Already 19th on the school’s all-time scoring list, she has racked up 1,166 points through four seasons and is within striking distance of the top 10 in school history. Last season, Jones became the 25th Blazer ever to eclipse the 1,000-point mark for a career and just the 13th to reach the mark before her senior season. The Town Creek, Ala., product is coming off a junior season in which she averaged a career-best 12.9 points per game.
• Chapman returns in 2012-13 as one of the top all-around players in Conference USA. The Calumet City, Ill., product ranked in the top 10 in the league in scoring (13.8 ppg, 8th), steals (2.6 spg, 4th) and blocks (0.9 bpg, 9th) a season ago. Chapman, who scored double figures in 25 of UAB’s 30 games last year, led the Blazers in the points and steals categories while finishing third on the team with 5.1 rebounds per game. She already owns 132 career steals and 51 career blocks over just three seasons and can reach the top 10 in UAB history in both categories with a good junior year in 2012-13.
Anderson Named FOW
• Freshman Kayla Anderson made an immediate impact in her UAB debut against Austin Peay on Nov. 9. The 6-foot-1 forward scored 13 points, including seven in the first six minutes of the game on her way to being named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week.
Blazers Picked Third in C-USA
• UAB has been picked to finish third in the Conference-USA standings this season, as voted on by the 12 league coaches. Last season, the Blazers finished league play at No. 4 in the standings.
Chapman Preseason All-C-USA
• A second-team all-conference selection in 2011-12, Chapman has been tabbed a Preseason All-Conference USA performer. The Calumet City, Ill., native led the Blazers in scoring (13.8 ppg) and was third on the squad in rebounding (5.1 rpg) last season.