Oct. 1, 2009
Updated C-USA MSOC Standings
IRVING, Texas - Austin Neil recorded two goals and Kilian Poeschk also drilled one into the net to give Tulsa a 3-0 win over FIU in the Conference USA opener for both teams on Wednesday night at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium. In other action on Wednesday, both Marshall and SMU picked up non-league wins over VMI and Centenary, respectively. Looking ahead to the weekend, four C-USA matchups are on tap, highlighted by SMU hosting Memphis in a game that will be televised on CBS College Sports on Sunday at 5:00 p.m. CDT. A complete list of this weekend’s games is listed below.
C-USA MEN'S SOCCER SHOOTING STARS (Sept. 29 – Sept.30)
• Austin Neil scored two goals and Kilian Poeschk drilled one into the net to Tulsa a 3-0 win over FIU in the Conference USA opener on Wednesday night at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium. TU moved to 5-3-1 on the season and 1-0 in C-USA, while the Panthers fell to 3-5 overall and 0-1 in the league.
• Neil headed in a goal in the 24th minute off a combination from Chris Taylor to Poeschk, and punched in another goal in the 39th minute from Hunter Christiansen to Taylor in front of the net to take a 2-0 lead into the break. Poeschk added the third and final goal of the night in the 55th minute as he picked up a forward pass from Jake Dobkins and drilled it into the net from 25 yards out.
• Andy Aguilar logged the first 71:48 in goal and picked up three saves for the win, while Mason Gist recorded his first regular season career minutes in the final 18:12 of the contest.
• Dane Saintus posted SMU's first hat trick since 2004, and the Mustangs earned a 4-1 win over Centenary Wednesday night at Westcott Field. Joe Cooper added his second goal of the year in addition to Saintus' three goals. The hat trick was Saintus' second multi-goal game of the season, also scoring twice against Yale on September 13.
• Marshall received first half goals from freshman Tom Jackson and junior Matt Butler to help lead the Herd to its third victory in its past four games with a 2-0 triumph against the VMI on Wednesday night.
• The newly acquired Jackson, playing in just his second collegiate game, wasted little time in his home debut as he put the Thundering Herd ahead 1-0 just 2:26 into the contest. Jackson collected the ball in the box off a failed clearance by a VMI defender and made no mistake as he tucked away his first collegiate goal past the Keydets keeper, Brian Sowell.
• Butler added another goal just six minutes before halftime as he collected a ball from freshman Fayanga Keita, put it on his left foot, and ripped the back of the net on the far post. The goal marked the juniors second of the year. Five of his six points this season have come at Sam Hood Field.
Wednesday, September 30
Marshall 2, VMI 0
SMU 4, Centenary 1
•Tulsa 3, FIU 0
Tuesday, September 29
(24) N.C. State 1, South Carolina 0
(9) Indiana 3, (13) Kentucky 0
Saturday, October 3
•Marshall at FIU 6:00 p.m.
Denver at Tulsa 7:05 p.m.
Sunday, October 4
•South Carolina at UCF 1:30 p.m.
•UAB at (13) Kentucky 3:30 p.m.
•Memphis at SMU (CBS C) 5:00 p.m.
More information on C-USA soccer may be found on the schools' websites:
South Carolina | Tulsa | Kentucky | Memphis | SMU | FIU | Marshall | UAB | UCF