Nov. 16, 2012
Full Game Notes | Statistics
Southern Miss IMG Sports Network
John Cox, 35th season, play-by-play
Vic Purvis, 39th season, analyst
Bo Morgan, sideline coordinator, 3rd season
Joe Bryant, spotter/statistician, 5th season
James Bates, play-by-play
Aaron Taylor, analysis
Lauren Gardner, sidelines
Follow LIVE via:
Noting the Golden Eagles
- The Golden Eagles play their final home game of the season this weekend when they entertain Conference USA West foe UTEP. It will be Military Appreciation Day at Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium.
- Southern Miss will try to avert its first winless home season since the 1977 squad went 0-4 at The Rock.
- The program lost its 10th game to start the campaign last weekend at SMU. It is the first time in the school's history that the squad has lost 10 games in a season. The Golden Eagles are 560-382-27 in their football history.
- The Golden Eagles wore their throwback gold helmets, circa 1970, for the fourth consecutive game. Southern Miss, which is celebrating its first 100 years of athletics this academic year, donned their complete throwback uniforms during both the Marshall and UAB home contests.
- Quarterback Chris Campbell made his first appearance since the Western Kentucky contest (Sept. 22) versus SMU and threw the team's first TD pass since that WKU contest, an 18-yard strike to Dominique Sullivan. Campbell, though, left the game with an injury in the second quarter.
- Senior punter Peter Boehme tallied a career-long 64-yard punt against the Mustangs, besting his previous mark of 63 that he tallied during his freshman year in 2009 against Tulsa.
- Jerrion Johnson blocked a fourth-quarter field goal, marking the first block of his career. It was the fifth block of an opponent this year for the Golden Eagles, which
includes three extra points, a punt and now a field goal.
- The Golden Eagles played three quarterbacks for the fourth time this season against SMU.
- Senior wide receiver Quentin Pierce needs 25 receiving yards to reach 1,000 for his career.
The UTEP Series
- This will be the fifth meeting between the schools with Southern Miss holding a 3-2 advantage, dating back to the 1954 Sun Bowl.
- Southern Miss lost the only meeting between the two schools in Hattiesburg - a 40-37 double overtime loss on Oct. 4, 2008.
- The Golden Eagles also won the 1988 Independence Bowl 38-18 over the Miners, in which James Henry returned two punts for touchdowns from 65 and 45 yards.