Dec. 29, 2012
East Carolina and UAB remain undefeated at home this season with wins over Norfolk State and Northeastern, respectively, Saturday. Both teams had multiple standout individual performances to lead them to victory. UCF won its sixth UCF Holiday Classic by defeating Belmont, 66-63, in the championship game. Senior Keith Clanton earned tournament MVP honors. Houston was also victorious at home by beating Prairie View A&M. Rice and Texas were tied 26-all at the half, before the Longhorns picked up the win on their home court. Tulsa held a five-point lead over Florida State, but fell to the Seminoles in the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Classic.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
UAB 83, Northeastern 63
Houston 80, Prairie View A&M 75
East Carolina 74, Norfolk State 63
Texas 57, Rice 41
UCF Holiday Classic, Orlando, Fla.
UCF 66, Belmont 63
MetroPCS Orange Bowl Classic, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
Florida State 82, Tulsa 63
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- UCF won its sixth UCF Holiday Classic with a 66-63 victory over Belmont in Saturday's championship contest. Senior Keith Clanton (Orlando, Fla.) scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season and 23rd of his career. Clanton was named the tournament MVP. Sophomore F Kasey Wilson (North Port, Fla.) littered the box score in the two tournament contests, combining for 19 points, 15 rebounds, four blocks and a pair of treys in the victories over Howard and Belmont.
- UAB used a double-double from junior F Rod Rucker (Elberton, Ga.) and a game-high 17 points from senior G Terence Jones (Baltimore, Md.) and junior G Preston Purifoy (Conway, Ark.) to run past Northeastern, 83-63. The Blazers extended their home winning streak to 10 games (the second longest running in C-USA), moving to 6-0 at Bartow Arena for the season. Four Blazers scored in double figures on the day, led by Jones and Purifoy, while Rucker registered his fourth double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, teammate and junior F Jordan Swing (Birmingham, Ala.) finished three assists and one rebound shy of a triple-double with 15 points, nine rebounds and a career-high seven assists.
- East Carolina senior F Maurice Kemp (Miami, Fla.) scored a season-high 23 points and classmate Miguel Paul (Winter Haven, Fla.) added 19 points, while he dished out eight assists to lead ECU past Norfolk State, 74-63. The Pirates handed out 21 assists on 24 made field goals, while sinking 21-of-26 (80.8 percent) free throw attempts to earn to their sixth straight home win of the season. The Pirates have won 11 straight non-conference home games under coach Jeff Lebo dating back to last season. Junior F Robert Sampson (Atlanta, Ga.) added 12 points and nine rebounds. Along with Kemp and Paul, the trio combined for 54 points and 18 rebounds.
- Houston forwards TaShawn Thomas (Killeen, Texas) and Danuel House (Sugar Land, Texas) posted 22 points apiece to lead the Cougars to an 80-75 win against Prairie View A&M at Hofheinz Pavilion. Thomas, the team's leading scorer and rebounder, connected on 7-of-15 shots from the field and 8-of-10 attempts from the free throw line and grabbed a game-high nine rebounds, including six off the offensive glass. It was his sixth game this season scoring 20 points or more. House nailed all seven of his free throw attempts - including four in the final 24.1 seconds - and added seven boards of his own. With the win, UH improved to 10-2 overall and became only the 15th team in school history to start 10-2 or better through the first 12 games.
- Tulsa junior G Pat Swilling Jr. (New Orleans, La.) and senior G Scottie Haralson (Jackson, Miss.) each scored season highs with 19 and 17, respectively, but TU fell to Florida State, 82-63, in the 2012 MetroPCS Orange Bowl Basketball Classic at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla. Haralson tallied all 17 points in the second half for the Golden Hurricane. Swilling hit his career-high with five three-pointers and totaled 17 points in the first half, as the Hurricane held a 21-16 lead. TU led 27-22 with 5:34 left in the half, but the Seminoles retook the lead and made a jumper at the buzzer to take a 36-33 lead into the locker room.
- Rice led by as many as six points throughout the first half, but Texas pulled away late in the contest for a 57-41 win at the Frank Erwin Center. Junior G Austin Ramljak (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) came off the bench to lead the Owls with 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting with four three-pointers. Ramljak scored 11 points in the opening frame and pulled Rice even at the break, 26-26. On his 22nd birthday, senior G Tamir Jackson (Paterson, N.J.) scored in double figures with 12 points on 5-of-17 shooting.
Sunday, December 30
Furman at SMU (C-USADN) - 4:00p
Tulane at Alabama (ESPNU) - 5:00p
Loyola (Md.) at Memphis (CSS) - 7:00p
Monday, December 31
William Carey at Southern Miss (C-USADN) - 2:30p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP