Dec. 19, 2012
Five Miners scored in double-figures as UTEP defeated Oregon, 91-84, in a triple overtime thriller Wednesday. Sophomore Julian Washburn paced the Miners with 23 points and grad student Konner Tucker hit a three-pointer and sank two free throws in the final seconds of the third OT. Rice also played an overtime contest with visiting Chicago State, and the Owls won 63-60 behind a 22-point performance from Tamir Jackson. Tulane junior Josh Davis tossed in 23 points as the Green Wave defeated UT-Pan American, while Marshall had a big second half to post a 64-48 victory over Savannah State.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
Marshall 64, Savannah State 48
Rice 63, Chicago State 60 (OT)
UTEP 91, (RV) Oregon 84 (3OT)
(13) Creighton 71, Tulsa 54
Tulane Classic, New Orleans, La.
Tulane 76, UT-Pan American 49
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- In triple overtime, UTEP defeated Oregon by a final of 91-84. Graduate student Konner Tucker (Fort Worth, Texas) hit a big three-pointer with 13 seconds to play and was fouled in the final six seconds, sinking two of his nine free throws. Tucker finished with 12 points, including a perfect 9-of-9 performance at the free-throw line. Sophomore Julian Washburn (Duncanville, Texas) led the Miners with 23 points, and junior John Bohannon (Lancaster, Texas) came off the bench to score 21 points and grab 10 rebounds.
- For the fourth-straight game, junior G D.D. Scarver (Birmingham, Ala.) led the team in scoring with 18 points as Marshall defeated Savannah State, 64-48. Senior Dennis Tinnon (Green Bay, Wis.) scored 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting. He started the game 6-of-6, his first miss coming late in the second half. Junior F Elijah Pittman (Covington, Ky.) rounded out the double-figure scorers with 10 points, all coming in the second half.
- Tulane junior Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.) scored 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead the Green Wave to a 76-49 win a against UT-Pan American in the first game of the Tulane Classic. Davis was 11-of-14 from the field and it was his sixth career 20-plus point game. Tulane improved to 8-0 at Devlin Fieldhouse this season. Sophomore G Ricky Tarrant (Pleasant Grove, Ala.) added 14 points and five boards. Freshman G Louis Dabney (New Orleans, La.) led the bench players with a career-best nine points. All 16 roster members played in the game for the first time this season. The Green Wave will face Pepperdine in the second game of the Tulane Classic Thursday.
- In its first overtime game of the season, Rice sank its free throws down the stretch to defeat Chicago State, 63-60. The Owls ended the second half on a 12-4 run to erase an eight-point deficit and force the extra period. Senior G Tamir Jackson (Paterson, N.J.) scored 12-straight points for Rice and 17 of 20 of the team's points for a long stretch in the frame. After being held scoreless in the first half, Jackson scored 22 points after the intermission to propel the Owls to victory.
- Tulsa freshman James Woodard (Edmond, Okla.) tossed in 15 points and pulled down 10 rebounds for his second double-double, but TU dropped a 71-54 decision on the road to No. 13 Creighton. Woodard was a perfect 5-of-5 from the free throw line.
Thursday, December 20
Stetson at UCF (CSS) - 6:00p
Lipscomb at Memphis (SportSouth) - 7:00p
Tulane Classic, New Orleans, La.
Pepperdine at Tulane (C-USADN) - 7:00p
Louisiana-Monroe at UAB (C-USADN) - 7:00p
Friday, December 21
Cable Car Classic, Santa Clara, Calif.
SMU vs. Wagner - 8:00p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP