Dec. 8, 2012
It was a good day for the home team as six C-USA teams won in front of their home crowds Saturday. Marshall improved to 5-0 at home with a 69-63 win over Coppin State. Memphis also moved to 5-0 at home with an 83-65 victory against Austin Peay and the Tigers earned their 150th home win since moving into FedExForum. UAB picked up an impressive 92-78 win against in-state foe South Alabama, with five Blazers scoring in double-figures. Houston needed overtime (its 80th overtime game in program history), but also knocked off an intrastate rival in Texas Southern, 78-75. Tulsa's Pat Swilling Jr. drained a free throw with three seconds remaining in a 50-49 win over TCU. UTEP moved to 3-0 at the Don Haskins Center with a 64-60 victory against Idaho.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
(RV) Memphis 83, Austin Peay 65
Tulsa 50, TCU 49
Houston 78, Texas Southern 75 (OT)
Marshall 69, Coppin State 63
Louisiana Tech 65, Southern Miss 55
UAB 92, South Alabama 78
UTEP 64, Idaho 60
San Diego 78, Tulane 72
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Memphis won its fourth straight game Saturday with an 83-65 victory over Austin Peay. It was also the Tigers' 150th win inside FedExForum. Junior Tarik Black (Memphis, Tenn.) led the Tigers with 18 points with 14 coming in the second half, while Geron Johnson (Dayton, Ohio) added 14 for his third-straight game in double figures.
- Junior G Pat Swilling's (New Orleans, La.) free throw with three second left on the game clock snapped a 49-49 tie and gave Tulsa a 50-49 victory over TCU. Tulsa improved to 6-3 on the season behind freshman D'Andre Wright's (Lawton, Okla.) team-highs of 14 points and seven rebounds, while senior Kauri Black (Rialto, Calif.) and freshman Shaquille Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) each tallied nine points for the Hurricane.
- Marshall junior D.D. Scarver (Birmingham, Ala.) led the Herd with 20 points in a 69-63 victory against Coppin State. With the win, Marshall improves to 5-0 at Cam Henderson Center. Junior G DeAndre Kane (Pittsburgh, Pa.) was credited with a career-best 11 assists. Senior Dennis Tinnon (Green Bay, Wis.) registered his third double-double of the season and 15th of his career with 15 points and 15 rebounds.
- Houston freshman F Danuel House (Sugar Land, Texas) drained a 3-pointer with nine seconds left in regulation to force overtime, and the Cougars used that momentum to outscore Texas Southern in the extra period on the way to a 78-75 win. Sophomore TaShawn Thomas (Killeen, Texas) led the Cougars with 23 points on 10-of-19 shooting and added a game-high nine rebounds with three blocks. It was his fourth 20-point game this season and during his career. Classmate Joseph Young (Houston, Texas) finished with 21 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field and went 5-of-5 from the free throw line for his second 20-point game in 2012-13. Thompson finished with 10 points, thanks to six free throws on eight attempts, and a team-high six assists.
- Five Blazers scored in double-figures as UAB defeated South Alabama, 92-78. Junior G Jordan Swing (Birmingham, Ala.) led the way with 18 points, while UAB received a career-high 17 points from junior C Fahro Alihodzic (Vlasencia, Bosnia), 14 from junior G Preston Purifoy (Conway, Ark.), 13 from junior G Robert Williams (Greenville, Miss.) and 12 from sophomore G Isiah Jones (Pulaski, Ill.). Jones also had eight assists, and Williams grabbed eight rebounds. The Blazers recorded a season-high 29 assists on 36 made baskets and shot a season-best 57.1 percent (36-for-63) from the field. UAB was on target from downtown as well, making 9-of-17 3-point attempts, led by Swing who made 4-of-5 from beyond the arc.
- UTEP moved to 3-0 at the Don Haskins Center with a 64-60 victory against Idaho. Sophomores Jalen Ragland (Chillicothe, Ohio) and Julian Washburn (Duncanville, Texas) combined for 33 points, and junior C John Bohannon (Lancaster, Texas) came off the bench to add 15 points.
- Tulane junior Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.) contributed team-highs of 19 points and eight rebounds, but the Green Wave dropped a 78-72 decision on the road to San Diego. The game had 15 ties and 14 lead changes.
- Southern Miss junior G Michael Craig (Phoenix, Ariz.) had 21 points and nine rebounds, but the Golden Eagles lost their final game in a three-game road swing with a 65-55 loss to Louisiana Tech. Senior F Jonathan Mills (Chicago, Ill.) added 11 points and eight rebounds.
Wednesday, December 12
Bethune-Cookman at UCF (C-USADN) - 6:00p
Long Island at Rice (C-USADN) - 7:00p
Friday, December 14
UCF at Old Dominion - 6:00p
Saturday, December 15
East Carolina at (16) North Carolina (ESPNU) - 11:00a
Marshall vs. (11) Cincinnati (CBSSN) - 1:00p
SMU at Rhode Island - 1:00p
(5) Louisville at (RV) Memphis (FSN) - 1:30p
Tulsa at Arkansas-Little Rock - 3:00p
Grambling State at Southern Miss - 6:30p
Hartford at Rice - 7:00p
Louisiana-Lafayette at Houston - 7:00p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP