Nov. 21, 2012
Southern Miss and SMU extended their win streaks to start the season to five games in Wednesday action. The Golden Eagles played three games in three days, defeating Liberty, 74-56. Jonathan Mills scored nine of the team's first 11 points and finished with 18 on the night. SMU defeated Rider, 83-70, in the Hoops for Hope Classic. The Mustangs' 5-0 start is their best since the 1997-98 squad opened the season 10-0. Tulsa (4-1) also got back to its winning ways with an impressive 86-66 win over Jackson State. Freshman James Woodard put forth another stellar performance with a game-high 27 points and 11 rebounds for TU.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
Tulsa 86, Jackson State 66
Progressive Legends Classic, Huntsville, Texas
Southern Miss 74, Liberty 56
Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic, Lincoln, Neb.
Nebraska 61, Tulane 57
Hoops for Hope Classic, Dallas, Texas
SMU 83, Rider 70<
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Southern Miss improved to 5-0 as the Golden Eagles shot 60.4-percent from the field and used a stellar second half performance to defeat Liberty, 74-56, in the final game of the Progressive Legends Classic Sub-Regional. As part of the tournament, Southern Miss played three games in three days.
- Senior F Jonathan Mills (Chicago, Ill.) led all scorers with 18 points while pulling down a team-high eight rebounds. He also scored nine of the Golden Eagles' first 11 points. Junior F Dwayne Davis (Philadelphia, Pa.) scored 14 points and had five assists and freshman F Norville Carey (British V.I.) scored a season-high 13 points. Junior G Neil Watson (Kansas City, Kan.) also had a game-high seven assists..
- SMU also improved to 5-0 with an 83-70 victory over Rider in the second game of the Hoops for Hope Classic, which continues this weekend in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The Mustangs' 5-0 start is their best since the 1997-98 squad opened the season 10-0.
- Sophomore G Ryan Manuel (Houston, Texas) registered his first career double-double with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Sophomore C Cannen Cunningham (Arlington, Texas) tossed in a career-best 20 points.
- Tulsa (4-1) got back to its winning ways with an impressive 86-66 win over Jackson State. Freshman G James Woodard (Edmond, Okla.) put forth another stellar performance with a game-high 27 points and 11 rebounds for TU. Senior G Scottie Haralson (Jackson, Miss.) added 16 points and fellow freshman Shaquille Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) scored 12 points for the Hurricane.
- Tulane junior G Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.) registered his 15th career double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds, but the Green Wave fell to host Nebraska, 61-57. It was the final game of four in the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic.
Thursday, November 22
Battle 4 Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
(19/17) Memphis vs. (RV) VCU (NBC Sports) - 6:00p
Old Spice Classic, Orlando, Fla.
UTEP vs. Oklahoma (ESPN2) - 6:00p
DIRECTV Classic, Anaheim, Calif.
Rice vs. Georgia Tech (ESPNU) - 8:00p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP