Nov. 13, 2012
East Carolina, Houston and UCF each improved to 2-0 on the season with wins Tuesday night. It was the Knights' home opener, after defeating in-state rival USF Saturday. Houston was on the road and beat host San Jose State. Tulane opened Devlin Fieldhouse with a 65-55 victory over Bethune-Cookman. No. 16 Memphis also won its season opener Monday with an 81-66 decision against North Florida at FedExForum.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
Memphis 81, North Florida 66
East Carolina 87, Methodist College 51
UCF 85, Alabama State 56
Houston 77, San Jose State 75
Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic, New Orleans, La.
Tulane 65, Bethune-Cookman 55
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- UCF senior Keith Clanton (Orlando, Fla.) recorded his second-straight double-double and junior Isaiah Sykes (Detroit, Mich.) scored a game-high 23 points as the Knights defeated Alabama State, 85-56, Tuesday in their home opener.
- The Knights shot 65.5 percent overall and limited Alabama State to a 36.5 percent shooting performance. Clanton shot 9-of-10 from the floor to finish with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Sykes made 10-of-14 attempts and added seven assists. Sophomore F Kasey Wilson (North Port, Fla.) chipped in with 12 points and junior F Tristan Spurlock (Woodbridge, Va.) added 10 points.
- Tulane also won its home opener with a 65-55 victory over Bethune-Cookman at Devlin Fieldhouse. The contest was the first as part of the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic.
Sophomore Ricky Tarrant (Pleasant Grove, Ala.) led the Green Wave with 21 points, with an 11-of-14 performance from the free-throw line. Junior Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.) added 14 points and a game-high nine rebounds.
- East Carolina senior F Maurice Kemp (Miami, Fla.) scored 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds to lead the Pirates to a 2-0 start after an 87-51 win over Methodist College Tuesday. Kemp was 9-of-12 from the floor. Junior F Robert Sampson (Atlanta, Ga.) registered his third career double-double with 14 points and 10 boards.
- Houston sophomore TaShawn Thomas (Killeen, Texas) tallied his 11th career double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds as the Cougars picked up a big road win, defeating San Jose State 77-75. Classmate Joseph Young also returned to the Cougar line-up after missing Friday's opener to contribute 17 points.
- Memphis won its ninth-straight season opener with an 81-66 victory over North Florida Monday at FedExForum.
- Junior Tarik Black (Memphis, Tenn.) finished with a team-high 18 points while classmates Joe Jackson (Memphis, Tenn.) finished with 14 and Antonio Barton (Baltimore, Md.) added 11. Black and freshman F Shaq Goodwin (Decatur, Ga.) each tallied seven boards, helping Memphis out-rebound UNF, 47-31. Jackson also contributed six rebounds and six assists.
Wednesday, November 14
St. Edward's at Rice (C-USADN) - 7:00p
UAB at (16/15) Creighton - 7:05p
Thursday, November 15
NUCDF Tournament, San Diego, Calif.
Tulsa vs. Northern Kentucky - 6:30p
Legends Classic, Athens, Ga.
Southern Miss at (RV) Georgia (FSN) - 7:00p
SMU at TCU (FSSW) - 8:00p
UTEP at (12) Arizona (FSN) - 9:00p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP