Nov. 10, 2012
East Carolina, Southern Miss, UAB and UCF each won their season openers in Saturday evening action. Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall and UAB coach Jerod Haase were victorious in their debuts. UCF picked up an impressive 74-56 win over in-state rival USF. The victory spoiled the Bulls' first game in the renovated Sun Dome and it was the Knights' first win in Tampa since 1978. East Carolina won its 13th-straight season opener by defeating Washington & Lee.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
UCF 74, USF 56
East Carolina 72, Washington & Lee 50
Southern Miss 67, Western Kentucky 64 (OT)
UAB 105, Young Harris 59
St. Thomas 72, Rice 59
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- UCF defeated in-state rival USF, 74-56. UCF wins, for the Knights' first win in Tampa since 1978. The victory also spoiled the Bulls' first game in the renovated Sun Dome.
- Junior Isaiah Sykes (Detroit, Mich.) was two assists shy of a triple-double with 26 points, 11 rebounds and a career-high eight assists for the Knights. He had 17 points, nine rebounds, four assists and no turnovers in the opening stanza.
- Sykes was one of four UCF players who finished with double digits in scoring. Senior F Keith Clanton (Orlando, Fla.), who was selected the C-USA Preseason Players of the Year by the coaches, finished with 16 points and 16 rebounds for his 18th career double-double. Junior F Tristan Spurlock (Woodbridge, Va.) totaled 14 points in the winning effort, and sophomore F Kasey Wilson (North Port, Fla.) added 13 points and six rebounds.
- Four free throws by freshman G Deon Edwin (British V.I.) gave Southern Miss a definitive lead in overtime and the Golden Eagles earned a 67-64 win against Western Kentucky in the season opener. The game was also the debut of head coach Donnie Tyndall and newcomers Michael Craig (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Jerrold Brooks (Rochester, N.Y.) led the team in scoring with 13 points apiece. Southern Miss was without the services of Neil Watson (Kansas City, Kan.) who is still nursing a thigh bruise.
- Senior Maurice Kemp (Miami, Fla.) scored 19 points and freshman Marshall Guilmette (Kennesaw, Ga.) added 13 points in his collegiate debut as East Carolina defeated Washington & Lee, 72-50, in its season-opener. Kemp connected on 7-of-14 shots from field and 5-of-6 at the free throw line, while adding six rebounds, four assists and four steals in 25 minutes of action. He scored 15 points in the opening half on 5-of-10 shooting.
- Guilmette came off the bench to make each of his four field goal attempts and 5-of-6 free throws, adding six rebounds with a block and a steal in 25 minutes. Junior Akeem Richmond (Sanford, N.C.), also making his ECU debut as a transfer from Rhode Island, added 10 points knocking down 3-of-4 3-point tries.
- The Pirates won their season opener for the 13th consecutive year and their home opener for the 11th straight year. ECU has won its home opener in 41 of the last 45 years, including 22 of the past 23. ECU improved to 14-3 at home in non-conference play under Coach Jeff Lebo.
- UAB head coach Jerod Haase won his debut with the Blazers as they knocked off Young Harris, 105-59, in their season opener. Six Blazers scored in double-figures with 17 apiece from juniors Jordan Swing (Birmingham, Ala.) and Robert Williams (Greenville, Miss.). Swing was 6-6 from the free-throw line and sank three three-pointers, plus added seven assists. Transfer Fahro Alihodzic (Vlasencia, Bosnia) added 16 points in his first game with UAB.
- Haase's former coach Roy Williams was in attendance at the game. Haase spent the last 13 years on Williams' staff at both Kansas and North Carolina.
- Despite four starters scoring in double figures, Rice fell to St. Thomas, 72-59, in the team's season opener on Saturday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. Senior G Tamir Jackson (Paterson, N.J.) led the Rice scoring attack with 13 points.
Sunday, November 11
2K Sports Classic benefitting Wounded Warrior Project, Philadelphia, Pa.
(RV) Marshall at Villanova (ESPN3) - Noon
Loyola Marymount at SMU (C-USADN) - 6:00p
LSU Shreveport at Tulsa (C-USADN) - 7:05p
Monday, November 12
North Florida at (17/16) Memphis (CSS) - 6:30p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP