Nov. 9, 2012
Houston, Marshall and UTEP won their respective home openers Friday. The Cougars' sophomore TaShawn Thomas and senior Leon Gibson combined for 31 points and 30 rebounds in an 81-76 win over Florida A&M. Marshall outscored visiting Longwood, 81-47, with 18 points apiece from DeAndre Kane and D.D. Scarver. UTEP also posted an impressive win, defeating Southland Conference preseason favorite Oral Roberts, 69-49. Tulane was on the road for its season opener at Georgia Tech. Junior Josh Davis scored a career-high 27 points, but the Green Wave could not earn the victory despite winning the last two meetings with the Yellow Jackets.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
Houston 81, Florida A&M 76
Marshall 81, Longwood 47
UTEP 69, Oral Roberts 49
Georgia Tech 79, Tulane 61
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Houston sophomore TaShawn Thomas (Killeen, Texas) scored 11 points, grabbed a career-best 20 rebounds and blocked five shots in an 81-76 win over Florida A&M. It was the 10th double-double of Thomas' career and he became the first Cougar since 2003 to grab 20 boards (Louis Truscott, 21 vs. TCU).
- Leon Gibson (Downey, Calif.), the lone Cougar senior, registered his second career double-double with a game- and career-high 20 points and 10 boards. Redshirt freshman Jherrod Stiggers (Terrell, Texas) added 19 points in his first career start, while junior G Brandon Morris (Alexandria, La.) chipped in 12 points off the bench. As a team, UH was 21-of-26 from the free-throw line.
- The Houston-Florida A&M game tipped at noon Central, making it the second national tip of the day. Only Rochester College-Eastern Michigan tipped earlier (noon Eastern).
- Marshall juniors DeAndre Kane (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and D.D. Scarver (Birmingham, Ala.) chipped in 18 points apiece as the Herd defeated Longwood, 81-47. Senior tri-captain Nigel Spikes (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) was one rebound short of a double-double with 10 points and nine boards. It was the Herd's seventh-straight season-opener win.
- UTEP posted a big second-half and defeated Southland Conference preseason favorite Oral Roberts, 69-49. The Miners outscored ORU, 38-21, in the second half. Junior C John Bohannon (Lancaster, Texas) led the way with 17 points. Freshman Chris Washburn (Grand Prairie, Texas) came off the bench in his Miner debut to score 14 points, while brother Julian Washburn (Duncanville, Texas) added 11 points.
- UTEP senior PG Jacques Streeter (Los Angeles, Calif.) scored seven with seven assists. He needs just 65 points to reach 1,000 for his career, and 64 assists to hit the 500 career-mark.
- Despite a career 27-point performance from junior F Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.), Tulane dropped its season opener at Georgia Tech, 79-61. Davis was 12-of-15 from the floor. Sophomore G Ricky Tarrant (Pleasant Grove, Ala.), the 2012 C-USA Freshman of the Year, added 18 points in front of a sold out Yellow Jackets crowd of 8,600. It was the first game played at Georgia Tech's new McCamish Pavilion.
Saturday, November 10
Washington & Lee at East Carolina (C-USADN) - 4:00p
UCF at USF (BHSN/ESPN3) - 6:00p
St. Thomas at Rice (C-USADN) - 7:00p
W. Kentucky at Southern Miss (C-USADN) - 7:00p
Young Harris at UAB (C-USADN) - 8:00p
Sunday, November 11
2K Sports Classic benefitting Wounded Warrior Project, Philadelphia, Pa.
(RV) Marshall at Villanova (ESPN3) - Noon
Loyola Marymount at SMU (C-USADN) - 6:00p
LSU Shreveport at Tulsa (C-USADN) - 7:05p
Monday, November 12
North Florida at (17/16) Memphis (CSS) - 6:30p
All times Central.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP