Feb. 1, 2012
Southern Miss took sole possession of first place in Conference USA with a 75-72 win over Memphis, snapping an 18-game losing streak to the Tigers. Coach Larry Eustachy's Golden Eagles are now 20-3 overall and improved to 11-0 at home this season. Marshall snapped its four-game skid of the season with a convincing 63-44 win over Tulane. Rice won a buzzer beater on freshman Julian DeBose's final shot for a 77-75 victory over UTEP. East Carolina knocked off visiting SMU, 62-43. UAB's Cameron Moore and Ovie Soko both posted double-doubles to lead the Blazers to an 80-69 win over Houston.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
Conference USA Statistics
(RV) Southern Miss 75, Memphis 72
East Carolina 62, SMU 43
Marshall 63, Tulane 44
Rice 77, UTEP 75
UAB 80, Houston 69
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Southern Miss 75, Memphis 72: Southern Miss snapped an 18-game losing streak to Memphis with a 75-72 victory over the Tigers at Reed Green Arena. The Golden Eagles improved to 11-0 at home and moved into sole possession of first place in the C-USA standings. Senior G Darnell Dodson (Greenbelt, Md.) came off the bench to score a team-best 23 points. He was a perfect 9-of-9 from the free-throw line. Sophomore G Neil Watson (Kansas City, Kan.) was 8-for-8 from the stripe on his way to scoring 17 points. Junior G LaShay Page (Dillon, S.C.) posted a double-double of 12 points and 10 boards. Memphis sophomore Chris Crawford (Memphis, Tenn.) registered a career-high 23 points, and attempted the final three-pointer of the game but could not covert. Crawford did connect on 9-of-15 field goals and 5-of-7 three-pointers. Sophomore G Will Barton (Baltimore, Md.) added 15 points for the Tigers and Joe Jackson (Memphis, Tenn.) came off the bench to add 14 points.
- Marshall 63, Tulane 44: Four Marshall players scored in double-figures to snap a four-game losing skid with a 63-44 victory over Tulane. Sophomore DeAndre Kane (Pittsburgh, Pa.) led the way with 13 points and six rebounds. Senior Shaquille Johnson (Jacksonville, Fla.) added 12 points. Senior G Damier Pitts (Charlotte, N.C.) and junior F Robert Goff (Indianapolis, Ind.) tossed in 10 points each, while Pitts tallied a game-high eight assists. Junior F Dennis Tinnon (Green Bay, Wis.) grabbed 12 boards as the Herd outrebounded Tulane, 45-22. The Green Wave was led by 11 points apiece from freshman G Ricky Tarrant (Pleasant Grove, Ala.) and junior G Jordan Callahan (Marietta, Ga.). Tarrant has scored in double figures in 17 games this season.
- East Carolina 62, SMU 43: Sophomore F Robert Sampson (Atlanta, Ga.) came off the bench to score 13 points to lead the Pirates in a 62-43 win over SMU. Junior F Maurice Kemp (Miami, Fla.) added 11 points for ECU. The Mustangs were without leading scorer Robert Nyakundi (Arlington, Texas), who suffered a hamstring injury during Saturday's game with Tulsa. SMU was paced by freshman G Jalen Jones (Dallas, Texas) with 11 points and eight rebounds.
- UAB 80, Houston 69: UAB senior Cameron Moore (San Antonio, Texas) and junior F Ovie Soko (London, England) recorded double-double performances in the Blazers 80-69 win over Houston.
Moore registered his eighth double-double of the season, and 22nd of his career, with 24 points and 13 rebounds. Soko scored 15 points and grabbed 11 boards for his sixth double-double of the season and ninth of his career.
Freshman F TaShawn Thomas (Killeen, Texas) also registered a double-double for the Cougars with 16 points and a game-high 14 rebounds. Thomas has the most double-doubles of any freshman in C-USA with six this season.
- Rice 77, UTEP 75: Rice freshman Julian DeBose (Washington, D.C.) hit a buzzer beater to give the Owls a 77-75 victory over UTEP. The last-second basket was DeBose's only field goal of the game and he finished with three points. The game featured 26 lead changes and 10 ties. The Owls were led by 20 points apiece from junior Arsalan Kazemi (Esfahan, Iran) and freshman Jarelle Reischel (Frankfurt, Germany). Kazemi was one rebound shy of his 42nd career double-double, which ties the conference career record. The Miners are still looking for their first true road win of the season, but did get a pair of double-double performances. Senior Gabriel McCulley (Memphis, Tenn.) scored a game-high 23 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, while sophomore John Bohannon (Lancaster, Texas) added 18 points and 12 rebounds. Freshman F/G Julian Washburn (Duncanville, Texas) tossed in 16 points for the second game in a row.
C-USA UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, February 4
Xavier at Memphis (FSN) - Noon
UCF at SMU - 2:00p
Rice at East Carolina - 4:00p
Houston at Tulane - 7:00p
Marshall at Tulsa - 7:00p
UAB at UTEP - 8:00p
All times Central. Conference USA Games in Bold.
Most Recent C-USA Notebook
More information on Wednesday's games and your favorite team can be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP