Jan. 30, 2013
Memphis registered its 11th straight win by defeating host East Carolina, 75-68. UCF won its fourth in a row as the Knights picked up a 58-50 victory at Tulane. SMU was the third team Wednesday to win on the road, beating Marshall 68-57. UAB and Rice both earned their first conference wins of the season. The Blazers and UTEP played into overtime for the third-straight time in Birmingham. Junior Jordan Swing scored a career-high 24 points as UAB came out of the extra time with a 78-72 victory. Rice and Houston squared off at Tudor Fieldhouse as the Owls rallied for a 79-69 win against their crosstown rival.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
(RV) Memphis 75, East Carolina 68
SMU 68, Marshall 57
Rice 79, Houston 69
UCF 58, Tulane 50
UAB 78, UTEP 72 (OT)
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Memphis 75, East Carolina 68: Memphis junior G Joe Jackson (Memphis, Tenn.) scored a career-high with 26 points, including his 1,000th career point, and added six assists in the Tigers' 75-68 win at East Carolina. Jackson's previous career high of 24 points was also against ECU in the semifinals of the 2011 C-USA Championship. Jackson now has 1,010 career points and became the 48th player in the program's history to score 1,000 or more career points. Freshman F Shaq Goodwin (Decatur, Ga.) notched 10 rebounds to lead Memphis, the sixth time he has led the Tigers this season. ECU junior F Ty Armstrong (Melbourne, Fla.) also hit a career-high with 18 points
- SMU 68, Marshall 57: The Mustangs snapped a three-game losing skid and picked up its first win in the series with Marshall, outscoring the Herd, 68-57. It was SMU's seventh double-digit win over the season. Sophomore Jalen Jones (Dallas, Texas) scored 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead SMU. Sophomore G Ryan Manuel (Houston, Texas) added 17 points, while junior Nick Russell (Duncanville, Texas) had 15 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Juniors Elijah Pittman (Covington, Ky.) and D.D. Scarver (Birmingham, Ala.) scored 15 points apiece. Classmate DeAndre Kane (Pittsburgh, Pa.) had 13, five assists and two steals. Senior Dennis Tinnon (Green Bay, Wis.) pulled down a season-high 17 rebounds to go with eight points for the Thundering Herd. It was the 700th game in a row in which Marshall had made at least one 3-point field goal.
- Rice 79, Houston 69: After trailing by as many as 15 points in the first half, Rice rallied past Houston for a 79-69 win at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Owls shot a blistering 65.2 percent from the field in the second half and turned the ball over a season-low four times in the game to secure the program's fourth win in the last five meetings against the Cougars. Reigning Conference USA Freshman of the Week Max Guercy (Arleta, Calif.) led the scoring with a season-high 21 points, including 14 in the second half, on 7-of-9 shooting. He added four assists and four rebounds with three three-pointers. Senior G Tamir Jackson (Paterson, N.J.) added 18 points on 4-of-12 shooting and a 9-of-10 mark on free throws. He finished with a team-high six boards to accompany three assists and a steal. Sophomore G Joseph Young (Houston, Texas) notched 17 points for the visitors while classmate TaShawn Thomas (Killeen, Texas) tallied his ninth double-double of the season, 18th of his career, with 15 points and 10 boards.
- UCF 58, Tulane 50:UCF recorded a dominant second-half performance to post a 58-50 victory at Tulane. Junior Isaiah Sykes (Detroit, Mich.) registered his fourth-straight 20-point game and led the Knights with 20 points to go with nine rebounds, four assists, three blocks and three steals in 40 minutes. He scored 16 of his points after the break. Sophomore F Kasey Wilson (North Port, Fla.) scored nine of his 12 points in the second half as the Knights built an 11-point advantage with 1:55 to play before holding off a late Green Wave rally. The win was the sixth straight for the Knights over Tulane. Senior F Keith Clanton (Orlando, Fla.) grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds to go with eight points and three blocks. In the first half, he became just the 10th player in C-USA history to record at least 200 career swats. He now has 202 as a Knight. Junior Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.) led Tulane with 18 points, nine rebounds and six blocks.
- UAB 78, UTEP 72 (OT): Junior G Jordan Swing (Birmingham, Ala.) scored six of his career-high 24 points in overtime as UAB defeated UTEP, 78-72. The win snapped a six-game losing streak for the Blazers' first conference win of the season. UAB was fueled by a 22-7 run in the second half. Rod Rucker added 18 points and nine rebounds, one board shy of his ninth double-double of the season. UTEP was led by sophomore G
McKenzie Moore (Pleasant Hill, Calif.) with 18 points. Moore also drained a buzzer-beating 3-pointer when UTEP defeated East Carolina in its last outing. Against UAB, the Miners were 50 percent from the field and 10-of-19 (.526) from beyond the arc, but they only hit 14-of-29 attempts at the free throw line.
Saturday, February 2
UCF at Marshall (CSS) - 1:00p
Tulsa at (RV) Memphis (CBSSN) - 1:00p
Houston at SMU (TW Texas) - 2:00p
East Carolina at Rice (C-USADN) - 7:00p
(RV) Southern Miss at UAB (CSS) - 7:00p
Tulane at UTEP (C-USADN) - 8:00p
All times Central.
Conference USA games in bold.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP