Jan. 12, 2013
Memphis and Southern Miss extended win streaks with double-digit wins over UAB and Houston, respectively. UTEP also improved to 2-0 in conference play with a 74-63 victory against Marshall. East Carolina's Corvonn Gaines hit the game-winning 3-pointer in an 88-85 overtime win against UCF. The Knights did have career performances from senior Keith Clanton with 36 points and junior Tristan Spurlock's 23 points. Tulsa had a big second half to defeat Rice, 64-51, in the Hurricane's C-USA home opener. Four Mustangs scored in double figures to lead SMU to a 59-53 win over visiting Tulane.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
Southern Miss 73, Houston 54
SMU 59, Tulane 53
Tulsa 64, Rice 51
East Carolina 88, UCF 85 (OT)
Memphis 69, UAB 53
UTEP 74, Marshall 63
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Southern Miss 73, Houston 54: Southern Miss used a 25-2 run to close the first half on its way to a 73-54 victory over Houston in its C-USA home opener Saturday afternoon at Reed Green Coliseum. It was the Golden Eagles fifth straight win and 21st straight home win. It also set a new school record with their ninth straight C-USA home win. The victory snapped Houston's seven-game winning streak. Junior G Jerrold Brooks (Rochester, N.Y.) led all scorers with 16 points. Junior F Daveon Boardingham (Newark, N.J.) had 12 points and five rebounds and freshman F Norville Carey (British, V.I.) had 11 points. Senior F Jonathan Mills (Chicago, Ill.) led all players with 10 rebounds. Houston sophomore Joseph Young (Houston, Texas) led the Cougars with 14 points.
- Memphis 69, UAB 53: Memphis won its sixth game in a row with a 69-53 win in 4th Annual Bartow Classic. Sophomore Adonis Thomas (Memphis, Tenn.) led the Tigers with 19 points and nine rebounds. Junior Joe Jackson (Memphis, Tenn.) added 17 points and classmate Tarik Black (Memphis, Tenn.) came off the bench for his first double-double of the season (sixth of his career). Black scored 10 points and grabbed a career-best 13 rebounds. With the loss, the Blazers snapped a seven-game win streak at Bartow Arena. UAB junior Rod Rucker registered his seventh double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- UTEP 74, Marshall 63: UTEP led by as many as 20 points and defeated visiting Marshall by a final score of 74-63. The Miners were led by Konner Tucker (Fort Worth, Texas) with 18 points. Tucker was 8-of-8 from the free throw line and is a perfect 20-of-20 from the stripe this season. Marshall senior Dennis Tinnon (Green Bay, Wis.) scored a game-high 19 points.
- East Carolina 88, UCF 85 (OT): Senior Corvonn Gaines (Madison, Wis.) hit the game-winning 3-pointer in overtime as East Carolina defeated UCF, 88-85. It was Gaines' only points of the game, while four other Pirates - seniors Maurice Kemp, Miguel Paul, Shamarr Bowden and Ty Armstrong - scored 16 points apiece. UCF senior F Keith Clanton (Orlando, Fla.) scored a career-high 36 points and his layup tied the game at 85 with 14 seconds to play. Junior F Tristan Spurlock (Woodbridge, Va.) also scored a career-high with 23 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for his third career double-double. The Knights' second-leading scorer Isaiah Sykes (Detroit, Mich.) had to leave the game with a sprained ankle.
- Tulsa 64, Rice 51: Tulsa outscored Rice by 20 points in the second half to capture a 64-51 victory in its C-USA home opener at the Reynolds Center. Freshman G Shaquille Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) scored 12 of his game-high 14 points in the second half, while also leading the Hurricane with eight rebounds, five steals and four assists. He also had a strong defensive performance in holding Rice's leading scorer Tamir Jackson (Paterson, N.J.) to just two points in the final 20 minutes. Jackson finished the game with 14 points, five assists and five rebounds for the Owls.
- SMU 59, Tulane 53: SMU held a 29-19 lead at half and held on to defeat visiting Tulane, 59-53, for the Mustangs first conference win of the season. Four Mustangs scored in double figures for the seventh time this season. SMU was led by junior G Nick Russell (Duncanville, Texas) with 13 points and seven assists. Senior London Giles (Dallas, Texas) and sophomores Jalen Jones (Dallas, Texas) and Ryan Manuel (Houston, Texas) added 10 points apiece. Tulane sophomore Ricky Tarrant (Pleasant Grove, Ala.) tossed in 28 points for the Green Wave.
Monday, January 14
Houston Baptist at UTEP (C-USADN) - 8:00p
Wednesday, January 16
Houston at East Carolina (C-USADN) - 6:00p
Memphis at Rice (CSS) - 6:00p
Southern Miss at SMU (C-USADN) - 7:00p
UTEP at Tulsa (C-USADN) - 7:05p
All times Central.
Conference USA games in bold.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP