Jan. 11, 2014
Louisiana Tech and UTSA jumped out to 2-0 starts to the Conference USA season. LA Tech took advantage of a 22-0 run before the half to build a lead and defeated FIU, 85-51. UTSA senior Devon Agusi posted another big offensive performance with a game-high 22 points in the Roadrunners' 85-77 victory against Charlotte.
Middle Tennessee won its inaugural C-USA contest in extra time with an 85-77 victory in OT. Although new to C-USA, it was the Blue Raiders' 17th straight conference win and 25th league win at home. Old Dominion also debuted with a victory, defeating host East Carolina, 81-76.
UTEP topped visiting Marshall, 66-56. Freshman Vince Hunter scored a career-high 20 points to lead the Miners, while senior C John Bohannon tallied 18 points. Bohannon also became the 32nd Miner in school history to reach the 1,000-point milestone during the contest.
Florida Atlantic and Tulane both picked up road wins Saturday. The Owls earned their first C-USA win against the host Rice Owls, 73-68. The Tulane guard trio of Jonathan Stark, Louis Dabney and Jay Hook combined for 49 points in a 73-62 win at North Texas.
Tulsa hosts Southern Miss Sunday to wrap up the weekend of conference play. The game tips at 12 p.m. CT and will be televised on FS1.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
Tulane 73, North Texas 62
UTSA 85, Charlotte 77
Middle Tennessee 89, UAB 84 (OT)
Old Dominion 81, East Carolina 76
Louisiana Tech 85, FIU 51
Florida Atlantic 73, Rice 68
UTEP 66, Marshall 56
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Tulane 73, North Texas 62: Freshman G Jonathan Stark (Munford, Tenn.) and sophomore G Louis Dabney (New Orleans, La.) combined for 39 points in a 73-62 win at North Texas. Stark led the all scorers in the game with 20 points, while Dabney added 19. Junior G Jay Hook (Waco, Texas) chipped in 10 for the Green Wave, who never trailed in the game. North Texas closed the half on a 13-3 run to knot the score 27-27 at the break. Dabney led Tulane's rebounding effort with nine. Stark has reached double digits in all but one game this season and 13-straight games. North Texas junior G T.J. Taylor (Denison, Texas) came off the bench for the Green Wave to lead the team with 19 points, hitting 5-of-10 from the field, and was credited with four of NT's five assists. Taylor also grabbed six rebounds in 27 minutes.
- UTSA 85, Charlotte 77: Senior Devon Agusi (Dallas, Texas) scored a game-high 22 points to lead UTSA to a 2-0 start in Conference USA play with an 85-77 win over Charlotte. Agusi went 8-of-13 from the floor, including a pair of 3-pointers, and hit four free throws to go along with four assists and a steal. He was a perfect 5-for-5 in the first half for 12 points and added 10 after intermission. Senior Edrico McGregor (Nassau, Bahamas) tied a season high with 13 points and eight rebounds, while sophomore G James Williams (Arlington, Texas) added 11 for the home squad. UTSA shot 49.2 percent on the afternoon, including 50 percent (16-of-32) in the second half. Charlotte's Denzel Ingram (Chapel Hill, N.C.) came off the bench to hit five 3-pointers and pace the 49ers with 17 points. Junior G Terrence Williams (Charlotte, N.C.) added 15, while sophomore F Willie Clayton (Thomasville, Ga.) tallied 13 points and a team-high seven rebounds.
- Middle Tennessee 89, UAB 84 (OT): Middle Tennessee won its Conference USA debut by defeating UAB, 89-84 in overtime. The victory marks MT's 17th-straight conference win and 25th in a row at home. The Blue Raiders outscored the Blazers 12-7 in overtime as four MT players finished the contest in double-figures. Senior F Shawn Jones (Haileah, Fla.) led the way with 22 points, going 8-for-11 from the floor. Senior F Neiko Hunter (Eutaw, Ala.) added 12 points with five of his points coming in the extra period. Classmate Kerry Hammonds II (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) hit back-to-back three-pointers early in the second half to rally the Blue Raiders to its largest lead of the game and finished the night with 17 points, while freshman F Reggie Upshaw, Jr. (Chattanooga, Tenn.) rounded out the crew with 15 points, completing the old fashion three-point play to ice the contest with 15 seconds remaining in overtime. UAB junior G Chad Frazier (Charlotte, N.C.) tossed in a game-high 28 points.
- Old Dominion 81, East Carolina 76:Old Dominion won its inaugural C-USA opener with an 81-76 victory against East Carolina. Sophomore guards Keenan Palmore (Stone Mountain, Ga.) and Aaron Bacote (Hampton, Va.) combined for 41 points to lead the Monarchs, who have won the last five-straight meetings with ECIU and seven of the last eight. Palmore scored a game high 23 points, one point shy of his career high. Bacote scored 18 points and dished out six assists, while redshirt junior Dimitri Batten (Newport News, Va.) added 12 points. The two teams battled to a 37-37 tie at halftime as Palmore chipped in 17 points on 8-of-9 shots from the field in the first half. ECU was led by junior G Paris Roberts-Campbell (Charlotte, N.C.) with 19 points, while C-USA's leading scorer Akeem Richmond (Sanford, N.C.) chipped in 14. Richmond, who leads the nation for most three-pointers made, sank four Saturday night.
- Louisiana Tech 85, FIU 51: Louisiana Tech went on a 22-0 run in the final six minutes before halftime and won its sixth-straight game by defeating FIU, 85-51. Senior G Jaron Johnson (Tyler, Texas) registered his first career double-double to lead the Bulldogs with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Senior Tymell Murphy (Brooklyn, N.Y.) led all Panthers with 13 points, nine rebounds and a team-high three steals. Redshirt junior Dennis Mavin (Gainesville, Fla.) added 12 points.
- Florida Atlantic 73, Rice 68: Florida Atlantic senior G Pablo Bertone (Arroyito, Argentina) scored 20 points and assisted on seven baskets to lead the Owls to their first C-USA win by defeating host Rice, 73-68. It was also FAU's first road win of the season. Freshman G Marquan Botley (Plano, Texas) tossed in 19 points for FAU. Junior C Justin Raffington (Freiburg, Germany) registered his fifth double-double of the season and second against C-USA foes with 11 points and 12 rebounds. Rice had 14 points apiece from senior Austin Ramljak (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) and freshman Sean Obi (Kaduna, Nigeria). Obi also pulled down 10 rebounds for his fifth double-double of the season - the most among C-USA freshmen.
- UTEP 66, Marshall 56: UTEP topped visiting Marshall, 66-56. Freshman Vince Hunter (Detroit, Mich.) scored a career-high 20 points to lead the Miners, while senior C John Bohannon (Lancaster, Texas) tallied 18 points. Bohannon also became the 32nd Miner in school history to reach the 1,000-point milestone during the contest. He grabbed 14 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season and 16th of his career. Bohannon is averaging 20.5 points and 11 rebounds in the Miners' two C-USA contests. Freshman F Ryan Taylor (Indianapolis) led the Herd with 18 points, including a lay-up to send the game into the half tied 27-27.
Sunday, January 12
(RV) Southern Miss at Tulsa (FS1) - 12:00p
Thursday, January 16
Tulsa at Charlotte - 6:00p
East Carolina at Florida Atlantic - 6:00p
Old Dominion at FIU - 6:00p
North Texas at Marshall (TWTX) - 6:00p
UTEP at Middle Tennessee - 7:00p
Rice at (RV) Southern Miss - 7:00p
UTSA at UAB - 7:00p
Louisiana Tech at Tulane (CST) - 8:00p
Conference USA games in Bold.
All times Central.
2013-14 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
Charlotte | East Carolina | FIU | Florida Atlantic | Louisiana Tech | Marshall | Middle Tennessee
North Texas | Old Dominion | Rice | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UTEP | UTSA