Jan. 9, 2013
Ten C-USA teams opened conference play Wednesday. Memphis became the first team to win 200 C-USA games with a 67-54 victory over East Carolina. Houston and Southern Miss extended win streaks to seven and four games, respectively. UTEP handed Tulane its first loss at home with a 66-57 decision. Marshall used a 19-0 run in the first half to move ahead of Tulsa, 79-61. The loss evened TU's conference record at 1-1. UCF had a strong defensive effort against UAB in a 64-48 victory.
Complete C-USA Standings and Results
C-USA Season Statistics
Marshall 79, Tulsa 61
UCF 64, UAB 48
Memphis 67, East Carolina 54
Houston 78, SMU 67
Southern Miss 75, Rice 52
UTEP 66, Tulane 57
C-USA MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Marshall 79, Tulsa 61:Marshall used a 19-0 run in the first half to jump out to an early lead and hold on to defeat visiting Tulsa, 79-61. The Thundering Herd was led by junior Elijah Pittman (Covington, Ky.) and his game-high 19 points. Juniors DeAndre Kane (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and G D.D. Scarver (Birmingham, Ala.) scored 16 points apiece. Senior Dennis Tinnon (Green Bay, Wis.) finished the game with six points and 11 rebounds, the third consecutive game in which he led the team in boards. Tulsa freshmen Shaquille Harrison (Kansas City, Mo.) and James Woodard (Edmond, Okla.) each scored 12 points, while classmate Rashad Ray (New Orleans, La.) tallied 11 points for the Golden Hurricane.
- Memphis 67, East Carolina 54: Memphis became the first school to win 200 C-USA games with a 67-54 victory against visiting East Carolina. The Tigers held a 39-19 lead at the break, and held off a second-half run by ECU. The Pirates scored 14 points in less than three minutes. Junior Joe Jackson (Memphis, Tenn.) led Memphis with 15 points and freshman Shaq Goodwin chipped in 12 points and eight rebounds. The Pirates had four players score in double figures, with senior Miguel Paul (Winter Haven, Fla.) scored 10 and added seven assists.
- UTEP 66, Tulane 57: UTEP led 11-2 four minutes in and then built as much as an 11-point lead it never relinquished in a 66-57 win over Tulane. It was the Green Wave's first loss at Devlin Fieldhouse (10-1). Konnor Tucker (Fort Worth, Texas) led the Miners with 14 points, including knocking down four 3-pointers. Sophomore Julian Washburn (Duncanville, Texas) added 12 points, while senior Jacques Streeter (Los Angeles, Calif.) had 10 points and six assists, and sophomore G McKenzie Moore (Pleasant Hill, Calif.) had nine points and nine rebounds. Tulane sophomore Ricky Tarrant (Pleasant Grove, Ala.) led all scorers in the game with 18 for the Green Wave, while junior Josh Davis (Raleigh, N.C.) failed to reach double figures for the first time all season with nine points to go with nine rebounds.
- Southern Miss 75, Rice 52: Southern Miss shot a school record 69.6-percent (32-of-46) from the floor as it defeated Rice, 75-52, in its C-USA opener. Junior F Daveon Boardingham (Newark, N.J.) led the Golden Eagles with 16 points and seven rebounds. Junior Michael Craig (Phoenix, Ariz.) had 15 points and a game-high eight boards. Classmates Dwayne Davis (Philadelphia, Pa.) and Jerrold Brooks (Rochester, N.Y.) each added 11 points apiece. Junior G Austin Ramljak (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) came off the bench to score 14 points for Rice, hitting four of the Owls' eight 3-pointers.
- Houston 78, SMU 67 Houston freshman Danuel House (Sugar Land, Texas) and sophomore Joseph Young (Houston, Texas) combined for 48 points in a 78-67 win over SMU. House poured in a career-high 28 points, hitting 7-of-11 from the field and converted a career-best 13-of-17 attempts at the free throw line. The win was the Cougars' seventh in a row. SMU sophomore G Jalen Jones (Dallas, Texas) registered his fifth double-double of the season with 22 points and 13 rebounds.
- UCF 64, UAB 48:Thanks to a strong defensive effort, UCF opened C-USA play with a 64-48 victory over UAB. UCF did not allow the Blazers to make a 3-pointer as UAB went 0-of-23 from deep, becoming the first UCF opponent to go without a 3-pointer since 2005. UAB entered the contest having made a triple in every game dating back to 1996. UCF was led by junior G Calvin Newell (Philadelphia, Pa.), who totaled 14 points. The game was played in front of a season-high 6,185 fans. Newell was one of three Knights to finish with double digits in scoring. Senior F Keith Clanton (Orlando, Fla.) recorded his eighth double-double of the year with 12 points and 13 rebounds and also added five blocks. Junior F Tristan Spurlock (Woodbridge, Va.) scored 12 points in the win. UAB junior F Rod Rucker (Elberton, Ga.) registered his sixth double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds.
Saturday, January 12
Houston at Southern Miss (C-USADN) - 2:00p
Tulane at SMU (C-USADN) - 2:00p
UCF at East Carolina (C-USADN) - 4:00p
Rice at Tulsa (CSS) - 5:30p
Memphis at UAB (CSS) - 7:30p
Marshall at UTEP (C-USADN) - 8:00p
All times Central.
Conference USA games in bold.
2012-13 C-USA Men's Basketball Fact Book
More information on your favorite team can also be found on the school web sites:
East Carolina | Houston | Marshall | Memphis | Rice | SMU | Southern Miss | Tulane | Tulsa | UAB | UCF | UTEP