Oct. 16, 2010
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. - The No. 21-ranked University of Tulsa men's and women's cross country teams split up and ran at Pre-Nationals and Chile Pepper Festival Oct. 16.
TU took seven men to Terre Haute, Ind., for the 10K race, while five men and four women went to Fayetteville, Ark., for the Chile Pepper Festival.
The next event for both teams will be when they host the Conference USA Championships at 9 a.m. Nov. 1 at Indian Springs Country Club.
Tulsa ran 11th out of 36 clubs, headlined by juniors Carl Stones and Daniel LePage. The duo finished 53rd and 54th, respectively, in times of 24:35.7 and 24:36.0. Junior Tom Marshall crossed in 68th place at a time of 24:46.3, and junior Justin Duncan was 86th in a time of 24:53.6.
Sophomore Geraint Davies was the last member of the Golden Hurricane to post a team score, as he finished 122nd overall in a time of 25:16.7. Sophomore Chris O'Hare (161st) and senior Mark Davidson (201st) also ran for Tulsa.
CHILE PEPPER FESTIVAL
1. Carl Stones (53rd) - 24:35.7
2. Daniel LePage (54th) - 24:36.0
3. Tom Marshall (68th) - 24:46.3
4. Justin Duncan (86th) - 24:53.6
5. Geraint Davies (122nd) - 25:16.7
6. Chris O'Hare (161st) - 25:42.2
7. Mark Davidson (201st) - 26:16.5
Tulsa finished 20th out of 50 schools that posted a team score in the 10K event. The Hurricane was led by sophomore Sam Masters
who finished 91st out of 463 runners with a time of 31:31.71.
Sophomore Mitch Johnson was the second TU runner to cross the finish line, and he completed his race in 32:00.34. Junior Bill Martin ran a 32:32.70 and finished 165th, and freshman Will LePage finished 213th with a time of 33:05.95. Freshman Kevin Mayer (242nd) rounded out the TU scoring with a time of 33:25.03.
1. Sam Masters (91st) - 31:31.71
2. Mitch Johnson (122nd) - 32:00.34
3. Bill Martin (165th) - 32:32.70
4. Will LePage (213th) - 33:05.95
5. Kevin Mayer (242nd) - 33:25.03
The Golden Hurricane took just four runners to the Chile Pepper Festival and therefore did not post a team score. There were 465 runners in the women's race, and sophomore Ashley Scott paced TU with a 51st-place finish. She ran the 5K in 18:19.51.
Sophomore Sarah Macpherson finished 86th with a time of 18:40.84, and sophomore Erin Huddleston crossed the line in 127th with a time of 19:03.33. Senior Laura Englehutt was 217th with a time of 19:43.43.
1. Ashley Scott (51st) - 18:19.51
2. Sarah Macpherson (86th) - 18:40.84
3. Erin Huddleston (127th) - 19:03.33
4. Laura Englehutt (217th) - 19:43.43